Wednesday, March 25, 2015

A Simple Amazon Search- Oh My!

Today I was ordering a few items to share with friends. I almost always use Amazon to do so. So I typed in the phrase "Plan B" looking for Suzy Toronto's "Life is All About Plan B" items. I often search for things using various search engines and websites and know that the responses are often not what you initially are looking for; but, today I was caught off guard.

I entered "Plan B" into the search box. A minute later I got the following results....
Plan B emergency contraception,










A book, What to Do When God Doesn't Show Up the Way You Thought He Would: Plan B,












and then the Suzy Toronto items I was looking for
.... What a wide variety! In all honesty I was shocked, perhaps even appalled!

Amazon sells a TON of stuff. I buy a TON of stuff from them. It is convenient, a fair price most of the time, I don't have to drive an hour to get stuff, and it's delivered to my door in 2 days! But emergency contraception throws me for a loop! Should it be that easy to access what used to be called "the morning after pill" and used to require a prescription? I know the FDA has approved it for over the counter sales and I know that other stores sell it too. But it is in a section in a store in which I would expect it. A person has to be looking for it in order to find it. It doesn't just "pop" up! What seems to get me bothered as much as I am is the way I stumbled upon it. I wasn't looking for it at all.

I have to ask....How many others will do the same? Will it promote reckless behavior? How many reckless teens and adults will purchase and use this? How many will use it as a result of a tragic experience? I do not have answers just more questions. There may be some positive sides for some, but I being a conservative believe that this is not a solution. It is a product looking for more trouble.

So, what does this search today teach me? Search terms are important! Be prepared for what you may come across. It is a free market world that we will live and products will be sold and named as companies are approved to do so and choose to do. I need to be more specific with my search terms! I need to prepare, teach, and guide my children to make choices that align with our family values and faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment