Friday, March 27, 2015

Lent... Fish Again?

Yes, it is that time again. The time of year that we are supposed to step back, reflect on our faith, take action to become less selfish, and evaluate our action as it relates to pour faith... it is Lent! Well, in all reality, it is almost over, but it still is for a few more days!

At our house lent is fairly simple. We reflect on our faith, identify ways we can exemplify our faith and then decide what we are going to give up or in some cases take on. Of course, it also means no meat on Fridays.Now, I kind of enjoy this part-- I LOVE fish, seafood, noodle, and grilled cheese! But my family on the other hand is not nearly as excited!

So a few weeks ago I tempted to try something new... Something that the family might get a bit more excited..... So I made Veggie, Lentil Penne Alfredo.... It was simple...

















I chopped up some Kale and Spinach, a small onion, 2 Roma tomatoes, a few stalks of celery, and a few shakes of Italian seasoning. I then mixed in a jar of alfredo sauce, a cup of sour cream and about 2 cups of milk. Next, I boiled ,get this, red LENT-il penne pasta noodles. Drained and let them cool. Then I mixed the noodles into the veggie and sauce mixture, poured it all into a 9x13 pan coated in cooking spray and cooked uncovered for about 40 minutes at 350 degrees.

It came out of the oven delicious!












I paired it with parmesan crusted Tilapia (for me), fresh mixed greens salad and petite cold carrots!
Despite thinking I was pretty corny using LENT-il pasta during Lent, the meal was a hit!

One just never knows what a family with 5 kids will eat... I am learning to never expect a certain result, but to be grateful for the opportunity to provide! Opening ourselves to new experiences is what living is all about!


"Lent stimulates us to let the Word of God penetrate our life and in this way to know the fundamental truth: who we are, where we come from, where we must go, what path we must take in life..." -- Pope Benedict XVI

No comments:

Post a Comment