Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Sitting the Bench

As of tonight Ben, now 10, will be riding the bench for the remainder of the baseball season. He will also have to miss out on the elementary football season, trampoline jumping, and any movement that is not in the pool or on a bike... the growth plates in his heels are badly inflammed and he winces in pain each time he steps.

He was supposed to sit out tonight, but after a bit of begging, puppy eyes and a few batted eyelashes, I let him play in 2 baseball games. It saddens me to know how sad he is to not do the things he loves, but warms my heart to know he's taking it in stride. He pointed out that he can still cheer on his team, shoot blackbirds out the playhouse windows and catch his brother when he bounces off the tramp. What a great kid.

What really got me today was when he said to me, "Mom, I am sorry I put you through all this. I know it is a lot of work to give us all we need." Fighting tears, I simply said, "No need for sorry. This is what being a mom is all about. It is my job to run you here and there and make sure you are taken care of." He then says, "But who takes care of you?" I didn't know what to say, but I know that there is a God because just then I was saved from an out pouring of tears by the spunky nurse/ physician's assistant that walked into the room. THANK YOU!

Wow! What a day! And now it's time for the tears, an extra hug good night for my kids and bed for myself. Tomorrow will be another adventure that will start earlier than I desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment