Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Wild about Game!

If you would have asked me 10 years ago if I would be excited about hunting, I probably would have told you no. If you would have asked me if I liked eating wild game I probably would have said, "Well the hotdogs that my dad and uncle used make make 20 years ago were great!". Today I am here to tell you that I am excited about hunting and that wild game can be tasty and easy to prepare. The biggest reason... it has become a family activity!

All of our 5 kids enjoy taking a ride to check the corn feeder and looking for tracks to see what direction the animals are coming from! Nothing like free natural entertainment!

Ben, now 11 1/2 years old, hunts pheasants with a gun and deer with a bow.
Libby(almost 9), pulls bow and practices shooting at a target.
Chris (5 1/2 yrs old) practices bow too!

We all get excited to see the animals come close enough to aim at and even more excited when we can shoot and hit them. It is also exciting to know that we are skilled or lucky enough to bring home food that will keep my crockpot and grill busy!

This weekend was a major milestone. Ben was able to shoot and hit his first deer, as well as, his first pheasant. He was able to respond, not react, listen to his dad, and take his time adjusting.


Hunting is more than a harvest of animals for our family freezer. It is a family affair and quality time together!

No comments:

Post a Comment