Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Reading Around the Kids Always Helps

Tonight as I sat with my 3 year old and she "read" me a series of books, I realized how vital seeing people read is. Having 5 kids there are tons of books and magazines in our house. I enjoy reading and often do so, but I had to stop and think when my kids have seen me read (besides on my iPad or iPhone). I am sure it had been awhile!
Then I got to thinking about the literacy exposure that my oldest two children received. Yes, I read books with them here and there. They had their favorites which were read over and over. Some nights we read 3 or 4 books and others none. I thought I was doing pretty good. Sadly, I can honestly say that I am not sure they saw me read much of anything.(Ok, the mail and the cake mix or frozen dinner directions.)
I now sit here feeling guilt for their lack of exposure. Especially when I see my youngest three children spend many hours a week reading and telling stories from pictures. They ask their siblings what their books are about and are very excited to "write" their own stories. I know without a doubt that their interest in language/ reading/ telling/ writing is drastically impacted by what they observe happening around them, most notably by their older siblings. 
So what can I do about it? Instead of hiding my stack of "I want to read" books and dozens of magazines in my office, I am going to put them on display. I can also make sure that during "quiet time" that I take a a few minutes to read with them or next to them. Finally, I can take interest in what they are reading (even if I can't stand the genre). 
The love of literacy can be built at any age and with my family we start to build/ enhance that love tomorrow! 
Happy Reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment