Monday, March 28, 2011

Who Needs Toys!

Today was one of those busy days. Work started at 7 am, meaning that I left the house at 5:45. I got home about 4:30 to a quiet house with 2 kids in it. Quiet house of an unattended 9 1/2 and 7 year old generally is not a good thing. To my surprise they were finished with their homework and were putting in time downstairs with Wii fit. I almost stopped to make sure they were my kids... no fighting taking turns, TV at a normal volume... I began wondering what they were going to ask for.  Well, they continued to take turns on the Wii for a few more minutes and the my oldest came upstairs. he started chatting and then picked up a stack of plastic cups and got busy making towers, more towers, designs and challenging himself cups pick up contests to see how fast he could get them all in a tidy stack. Who needs toys when plastic cups are around? Not Ben.





I began cooking taco meat and the youngest came upstairs heading straight for the tin foil. She grabbed it, watched it roll across the floor and shook it like a sheet laughing hysterically as she tried looking into it as if it were a mirror.  After dinner she provided entertainment as she played drums on the empty milk jug. Who needs toys? Not Nellie!


It always amazes me how the medical syringe full of medicine is one of the worst things to a 3 year old in the world, but let them grab it, fill it with juice, water or milk and it becomes the coolest toy to use in revenge on your siblings. Who needs toys? Not Chris!




A few sheets of paper and a pen or the cups that others were using to build towers taller than themselves are also some of the simple things that kids love. Libby would take these and a good old radio any day! Who needs shelves of toys? Not Libby!


Well, toys of all sorts do make life entertaining and are always fun to look at and receive. My kids do love all the toys and gadgets that they have. But when it comes right down to it, some of the best and most fun things to play with are all the things in the kitchen cupboards, drawers or in the family office!  I LOVE to see them use their creative side and invent their fun! I am so thankful for them as they are one of the best gifts!

No comments:

Post a Comment