Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Helping Hands and Warm Hearts!

A quote was recently shared with me that touched a special place in my heart.
"VOLUNTEERING WHEN IT IS CONVENIENT IS APPRECIATED, HOWEVER MAKING SOME SACRIFICE TO VOLUNTEER IS TRUE COMMITMENT AND CONVICTION!"

This past fall My family spent time volunteering. We made meal packs for a group called Feed My Starving Children. My husband and three oldest, along with my dad, my sister and niece all spent a few hours doing something that helps lots of other people! This organization relies on donations and volunteers. The food packs are distributed to 70 countries around the world.

The food in each Manna pack in considered a complete meal. It contains a "meal" that is made of a chicken flavor and spices, soy protein with 20 vitamins, dehydrated potatoes and vegetables, and rice.

The meals do not contain a meat source because the packs are distributed world wide and many different cultures and belief systems have different rules about meat consumption.


Through this experience I am reminded how much I have that I take for granted. I am amazed by how far just a small amount can really go. I am also very grateful for all that I have and am able to share! I am also aware that no matter how big or small, young or old there is a way that all can volunteer!


Some interesting facts....
1 Manna Pack feed about 5.5 people
Each pack contains 2800 calories
1 box, 36 Manna packs costs $50 to make.
Just over 1.5 boxes ($80) will feed a child for 1 year.

Approximately 1 in 7 people world-wide go hungry each day
18000 kids die each day from starvation

No comments:

Post a Comment